Tuesday 16 December 2014

Some Christmas Knits

My mums hands always feels cold and I remembered seeing old Steptoe (from the black and white comedy series Steptoe and Son - I hated that old man I though he was so creepy) wore fingerless gloves as does Auntie Wainwright from Last of the Summer Wine and it got me thinking and I gave it some more thought. I then trawled the internet for a pattern for fingerless gloves. I didn't want anything fancy or lacy just plain because all I wanted was the number of stitches as I could do the rest. I eventually found some and these are the fist ones I made in a really soft arran yarn, The colour is a mid blue but the light isn't good at the moment for taking picture. The background was a white table cloth. 

I've already given these to mum but they're too big but they will do for a couple more weeks because I've made another pair in double knitting and I'm just sewing up second pair. I think mum likes them because they only come off at bed time so extra ones are needed for the sake of washing.

This little cardigan is for my little nephew. His mum asked me to make it earlier this year but I was so busy with the twiddle muffs that I just didn't have time but said I would do it for Christmas.  The cardigan is the same arran as the gloves in the first picture.  The little dress is for my little niece and is done in double knitting (same lilac as the fringy gloves). If you click on the pictures they'll come up bigger so you can see the details more clearly. I'm in the middle of making a couple of little bags (will do a show and tell when they're finished) to put these in with another (bought) item. 

Time to start making tea and I don't know what we're having. Have to have a hunt in the freezer - plenty there.

Carolx







10 comments:

  1. Great knits and the dress is gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mum. Your stockings are looking very nice too,
      Carolx

      Delete
  2. All lovely gifts! I'm not crafty but I love to see what people make!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I remember you knitted a lovely scarf last year. They make nice warm gifts.
      Carolx

      Delete
  3. These are all gorgeous, I especially love the cardigan, I wish I could knit better :) A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison. Knitting just takes practice but you're great at sewing.
      Carolx

      Delete
  4. They're all lovely, I really like the fingerless gloves. I've seen quite a few children in the shop wearing hand knitted clothes recently, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TD I have a pair of mitts. They keep my hands warm whilst out and about and my fingers free to do. Knitting and crochet are becoming very popular again as a relaxing hobby.
      Carolx

      Delete
  5. They're all gorgeous, but my favourite is the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scarlet. The little cardigan is done in a fisherman's rib and should be lovey and warm.
      Carolx

      Delete

Farewell

I've taken some time to think this through and decided to stop blogging. I'm not getting out of it as much as I did when I first sta...